Ingredients: Kaffir Lime Leaves

Posted by JMom | Friday, November 21, 2008 | | 1 comments »

Kaffir Lime Leaves
I went on a hunt for Kaffir Lime Leaves when I cooked Beef Rendang last month. I finally found it in a corner of the freezer section. This little bag of a few leaves was $1.99!

It's expensive because Kaffir, I don't think, is grown anywhere here in the U.S. This lime is native to Indonesia and Malaysia.

As for the taste, I'm not really sure. I think the beef rendang was the wrong dish to try this ingredient on if you were trying to see what flavor or essence it contributes to the dish. There were so many spices and aromatics in the beef rendang that none of them really stand out. I am guessing this contributed some acidity and essence to the dish. I'll have to try making my favorite Thai soup, Tom Yum Goong as it's another dish that kaffir leaves are used in.




Visit our new blogs:
Amoores.com
Cooked from the Heart - our new food blog
Our New Backyard - garden & photo blog
Found Not Lost - about all the things we 'find' worth talking about

1 comments

  1. Jen // 12/01/2008 9:52 AM  

    I love cooking with Kaffir lime leaves too. Nice site you have here. :-)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e