Halo-Halo

Posted by JMom | Monday, July 16, 2007 | , , , | 7 comments »

It's summer time again for sure when you can't stay but a minute outside and you are already sweating and sticky without doing anything more strenous than lifting a glass of iced tea. I'm loving it though. It gives me an excuse to come up with cooling treats like Halo-halo.

Halo-Halo is the Filipino version of the summertime ice treat. Halo-halo, which means mix-mix literally, has its various renditions in different countries: Ice kakang in Malaysia, Es Teler in Indonesia, Ruam Mit in Thailand, Three Bean Drink/Rainbow Ice in Vietnam, and of course don't forget it's simpler sister, the Italian ice.

There are a great many versions of halo-halo so I won't put a recipe here, but here are more halo-halos on the web if you're interested in making your own.

  • Razon's Halo-halo - not a recipe but rather a review of one of the best places to get halo-halo. The girls and I tried this place at the Mall of Asia and loved it! It was simple but one of the best halo-halos we've ever tasted.
  • Halo-halo recipe from seasite
  • Market Manila Halo-Halo
  • Baby Rambutan's Halo-Halo

    As you may have noticed from the sampling of recipes for halo-halo, there isn't a strict recipe for it, put what flavors you like and enjoy!




  • 7 comments

    1. Anonymous // 7/17/2007 7:24 AM  

      my daughter had that yesterday.

    2. JMom // 7/18/2007 10:21 AM  

      anon, lately I've been having one everyday after work instead of a cocktail. lol! it's been really hot here :)

    3. Anonymous // 7/18/2007 2:52 PM  

      JMOM, pahingi naman!!

      buti ka pa may kids to enjoy halo-halo with...my husband's not fond of it, hindi worth gawin for lone old moi *lungkot*

      drama ano? *hugs from Olandya*

    4. Anonymous // 7/19/2007 3:31 PM  

      me love halo halo,as well BUT syempre iba pa rin yung gawa sa atin noh?.Abroad am using vanilla or any unflavored ice cream instead of just plain ice.Mas ma nam nam sya! a bakla friend of mine suggested to use frozen milk but it didn't work well with me matrabaho kasi lol

      tlc mami J!

    5. JMom // 7/20/2007 2:49 PM  

      hi thess! naku ha, nakakarami nga akong mag halo-halo since nag bakasyon sila. lol!!

      hi cheh! ah ako rin, hindi gagana pag matrabaho. I like easy recipes :) simple lang ginagawa ko tapos sa blender lahat.

    6. febeth // 8/19/2007 8:42 AM  

      I miss halo halo, ice kachang is not that sweet and less fruits inside.Thanks for droppng by my blog.

      Can I use your recipes for cooking ?

    7. concrete girl // 2/13/2008 7:48 AM  

      I agree, I tried a lots of HaloHalo, still Razon's Halohalo is the best...

    ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e