Chicken & Corn Chowder

Posted by JMom | Wednesday, November 08, 2006 | , | 5 comments »

Chicken & Corn Chowder


With the weather turning cold once more, what better way to welcome fall than chowder. The clone really wanted to use some of the leeks from the garden, but they aren't quite ready yet so we settled on using scallions and corn instead. I wish I could say the corn came from our garden, but unfortunately our corn didn't do so well this year and we only got a couple of ears. The potatoes used for this soup was from our garden though.

4 T butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
Scallions (green onions), separate white end from green, set green ends aside for garnish
3 carrots
2 cups corn
6 med potatoes
4 deboned chicken thighs or 2 chicken breasts, cubed
1/4 c. flour
salt and pepper
2 cups milk
3 cups chicken broth

Melt butter in hot pan and sautee garlic onion, celery and white part of scallions until fragrant and onions are translucent. About 5 min. Add chicken and sautee until opaque. Add flour and sautee with the chicken and veggies for another minute. Add potatoes and carrots, broth; and milk. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until potatoes are done and broth is slightly thickened. Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the green onions, stir through and serve.

5 comments

  1. Anonymous // 11/09/2006 10:05 AM  

    That sounds like such a good and hearty soup! Gosh, can I just say, when your started with "With the weather turning cold once more..." I felt even extra warm here! How I wish for some cold weather...my shirt is sticking to my back here...huhuhu!

    Anyhoo, I have some homemade stock in the feezer that I am going to bust out soon for something like this :)

  2. Anonymous // 11/10/2006 9:46 AM  

    a warm chowder is good to keep cosy under a cold weather. It looks tasty and also similar to a lapskaus here

  3. Anonymous // 11/10/2006 9:52 AM  

    I just like this type of thick soup, so hearty, and has every goodies in one bowl! Ahhh... leek, my favorite, but I also crazy for scallion.

  4. Anonymous // 11/11/2006 8:06 PM  

    hi joey! ah, the grass is always greener elsewhere, isn't it? :) I'm looking forward to some nice warm weather in about a month when we escape our wintry weather for a while.

    hi chas! yes it is definitely comfort food when the cold is starting to get under your skin. You should post the lapskaus recipe, I'd be curious to learn more about it.

    hi gattina! i just love soups of all types, but thick hearty soups have a special spot in my stomach :)

  5. Anonymous // 11/21/2006 1:22 PM  

    Yum. That looks so good that I'm going to make it next Sunday when we're back from visiting family! Love your delicious site. Found you via the randomizer. :)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e