Purple Basil Chicken Bake

Posted by JMom | Wednesday, October 25, 2006 | | 6 comments »

Purple Basil Chicken

If you hadn't noticed already, yes, we do bake a lot of chicken. We have our favorite way which is also the simplest way, but once in a while, especially when we have an abundance of a particular ingredient (in this case purple basil), we like to change it up a bit just to have some variety. This is our experiment with purple pesto, and it turned out pretty well.

Purple BasilINGREDIENTS:
Juice from 2 limes
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup or 1/4 of large onion, roughly chopped
1 cup purple basil, chopped
3 Tbsp. pinenuts

Put all the ingredients above in a food processor to make a purple pesto.

Purple Basil PestoPre-heat oven to 350 F. Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper then spread the purple pesto over each piece. Put in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

This chicken was served with sauteed green beans and potatoes.

6 comments

  1. Anonymous // 10/25/2006 1:02 PM  

    That looks quite inviting ate! This is a nice addition for chicken recipes

  2. Anonymous // 10/25/2006 1:13 PM  

    looks real yummy...I've never seena purple basil.. Let me look for one so I can try this recipe.

  3. Anonymous // 10/26/2006 5:31 AM  

    I have thai purple basil, is it the same basil you used Jmom?

  4. Anonymous // 10/26/2006 9:33 AM  

    Hi Chas, Thanks!

    Hi Leah, purple basil is milder than sweet basil. I hope you get to try it :)

    Hi gattina, yes, I used thai purple basil. BTW, purple basil pasta is good on pasta too! the flavor is a lot milder. I used it with some wheat spaghetti, it was yummy!

  5. Anonymous // 10/27/2006 4:30 AM  

    I love cooking chicken...remember when I had the BF who only ate white breast chicken meat? Man, I was like Sheherazade with the meat...never the same recipe. It's the chamelion of meats :-) This looks good, I'll have to try the pesto sauce on some grilled chicken when I get back, bet it'll be yummy!
    Hugs.

  6. Anonymous // 10/28/2006 6:07 AM  

    Jmom,
    Thanks for more of your ideas! I'm used to saute this purple basil, so your dishes does expand my horizon! They all sound and look very good indeed!

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e