Southern vs. Filipino Breakfast

Posted by JMom | Wednesday, July 27, 2005 | , , , | 7 comments »

My husband loves breakfast, and since the girls went on summer vacation, we have been indulging too much. We've even had breakfast food for late dinner! We got us some true blue country ham, which reminds me of tuyo (salted, dried sardines), strangely enough, because of it's saltiness, and it's strong smell. It smells a bit like funky feet, but if you can get past that, which really, it dissipates as it cooks, is really quite delicious.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
On this day, since we had plenty of green tomatoes, we decided to have some fried green tomatoes along with liver pudding (another southern specialty) and country ham, of course accompanied with buttery grits. Yummy cholesterol heaven!

The ham is so salty that I parboiled it first and threw out the first water, added a bit more and boiled it down until all the liquid has evaporated and the ham started to sizzle and take on some color. After the ham has browned, my mother in law used to deglaze the pan with coffee, producing what they call red-eye gravy which is then drizzled over the grits. I like frying rice in the same pan and getting that good country ham flavor all over the fried rice.

I have also taken a liking to fried green tomatoes which is simply dredged in flour and fried. We couldn't wait for the tomatoes in the garden to ripen, so this was a great way to have a sampling.

In contrast, this is my hubby's favorite Filipino breakfast meat, tocino.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This was my first attempt at making tocino at home, and it wasn't too bad, if I do say so myself. I simply marinated thin slices of a boston butt pork roast in apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and black pepper. No coloring, so this doesn't have the usual reddish color, but the flavor was good. I cooked the tocino over low heat until all the liquid evaporated and the marinade started to caramelize and take on that golden color. Tip from my dad: cook it slow, don't over cook it, and you will have a tender tocino. It worked!

7 comments

  1. dexiejane // 7/27/2005 1:31 PM  

    oh i love fried green tomatoes. :)

    tocino is my favorite pinoy breakfast as well. i didn't know know how to make the marinade till now. i usually just buy the mix from a pinoy store online. this really helps. thanks :)

  2. santos. // 7/28/2005 12:09 PM  

    hi jmom! i've never seen that liver pudding before, it looks *serious*. is it like a sausage without the casing?

  3. Anonymous // 7/29/2005 3:40 AM  

    Cook rice in same pan as the meat... got it! Great advice!

    And that tocino looks so goooooooood!

  4. Anonymous // 7/29/2005 6:56 AM  

    jmom, pa-share naman ng recipe ng liver pudding!!! when you have time, of course....

  5. JMom // 8/02/2005 12:27 PM  

    Hi dexiekins, glad I was able to help ;-) let me know if you try making tocino, how it comes out.

    Hi santos! liver pudding is another southern specialty, I think. The brand I use is called Neese's and it is only available in Tennesse and the Carolinas, I think. It's liver, mixed with cereals and spices. It usually comes in a brick, no casing, even for the sausages.

    Learn more about Neese's products from their website, http://www.neesesausage.com/default.htm

    Thanks, toni, I do the same when I cook langonisa or tocino. Fry the rice in the same pan after draining excess oil, to sop up all the flavor. sarap! :-)

    Hi stef! I don't have a recipe for the liver pudding as I buy the prepackaged Neese's product. The way my MIL taught me how to cook it is to dredge slices of it in flour and fry in a bit of oil until the outside is crisp but not dried out inside. I've been meaning to try it as substitute for some of filipino dishes requiring liver paste but haven't had a chance yet.

    Hi Jade baby! Now didn't I say you wouldn't be crazy about this breakfast? ;-) That's why dad and I took advantage while you guys were gone :-D

  6. LaceyP // 3/10/2010 8:10 AM  

    Hey Jmom, I just got some of the link liver pudding and Im unsure of how to cook it....can you help me out at all? It looks like its already cooked but I dont know how to heat it up without messing it up. I LOVE liver pudding I live in South Carolina and love to eat at Lizards thicket eating grits, eggs, and liver pudding!!!

  7. JMom // 3/10/2010 9:07 AM  

    Hi LaceyP, I buy the uncased liver pudding so to cook that I usually lightly bread it with flour first then fry them up until they are lightly browned on the outside.

    For the links, cook them like you would link sausages but put a bit of oil in the pan and just brown them until they are browned and warmed through. Yes, they are for the most part cooked already but I always like to make sure they are cooked all the way through.

    Now you really made me want some liver pudding now. I can't wait until we have some green tomatoes again! They just go together perfectly :)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e