Shrimps in Coconut Milk

Posted by JMom | Saturday, November 06, 2004 | , | 3 comments »

For the first time, our local grocery store actually carried some local NC shrimps with the heads on at a reasonable price so I thought I would try out the drunken shrimp recipe that I have been drooling at from Sassy's and TingAling's previous posts. However, I didn't get around to cooking right away, and before you know it, hubs and I had finished the wine I was going to use. Ah well, I had to come up with another recipe. I always love things cooked in coconut milk, and that we didn't drink, so I decided to use that instead. I also still have an abundance of kamote tops so I threw in a handful of those too, and it actually came out pretty well.



2 lbs. of shrimps with shell and heads on
2 handfuls of kamote tops (sweet potato tops)
2 tablespoons of oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 cup of coconut milk
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil in a skillet and saute the garlic and ginger until they start to brown at the edges then add the sliced onions and saute for a few minutes. Add the coconut milk and let it come to a boil. When it is boiling, add the shrimp, oyster sauce and kamote tops and cook for a few minutes until the shrimp changes to the reddish color and the kamote is tender. Taste and adjust the seasonings, and serve.

3 comments

  1. Manang // 11/08/2004 12:27 PM  

    You're lucky you have sweet potato tops! I am planning to order some stems to plant by next spring, hopefully I will find a way to plant one indoors as well.
    This recipe sounds so good, I know my boys will love it, especially my younger one.

  2. Ms One Boobie // 11/10/2004 8:47 PM  

    I envy any woman.. who can whip up a meal.. in a min.. :) How i wish i was this way.. heh!! I seems to be exhausted all the time.. and i eat TV dinners.. like no body's business.. hahhaha!! Tat can't be healthy!! So pray tell me yer secret..??!!??

  3. JMom // 11/13/2004 9:00 AM  

    Hi Manang & MrsTweety!

    My secret? Necessity! When you have no choice but to get things done, you find a way and somehow find the energy too. Plus, my whole family loves food, and fresh and homecooked is always the best. Try it, cooking is also a good experiment for kids. It will be a great activity for you and Chloe to share. I know my girls love cooking together.

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e