Chicken Adobo

Posted by JMom | Wednesday, September 22, 2004 | , | 2 comments »

We had chicken adobo for dinner last night. It was good, one of the best versions I've ever made. Unfortunately, we were all hungry and didn't get a chance to photograph it before it was all devoured. I ran out of regular soy sauce. When I went to pour some in, all I got was a couple of drops. So I used dark soy sauce instead. I didn't use as much as I usually do, 'cause I've done that before, and it gets too dark, plus the flavor is just slightly sweeter than regular soy. I don't know why, but it is. So I just put enough to color the dish, and I added salt to season.

I don't ever measure when I cook adobo, it's like second nature, and I cook it often when I am tired and want something easy to cook or when I am running short on time and need something cooked fast. Last night, it was both. Plus, I was trying to get dinner over with before 9:00 when Amazing Race 5 started. Actually, my target time was 8:00 as it was premiere night for Gilmore Girls, Jade's and my favorite show. Anyway, maybe Jade will take a photo of the few pieces of chicken that was left over and post it on here later. Here's what I did:

1 whole chicken, chopped in pieces
8 cloves of garlic or the whole head if its rather small
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 cup vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon (approximately) whole peppercorns
4 bay leaves
1/2 cup of water
add a little more salt to taste

Put everything in a pot large enough to hold them, simmer for about 1 hour or until the juices have reduced and thickened slightly. Done! I just love easy dishes!

2 comments

  1. Toni // 9/24/2004 2:06 AM  

    Oh yum! I can't wait to try this out. I've never cooked Adobo. Do you know of any twists that one can make with Adobo?

  2. JMom // 9/24/2004 9:43 AM  

    Hi Toni! I'm surprised to hear you've never cooked adobo. I thought Filipinos were born knowing how to cook one version of this dish or another :) I've always cooked my adobo this way, the one pot, one simmer method; I like simple and easy recipes. I do vary the ingredients from time to time, sometimes I add ginger, or if I have an abundance of tomatoes I add those and cut down on the vinegar. I have seen other variations from the Radical Chef and other food blogs, such as deep frying the meat after simmering, or removing the meat from the sauce then thickening the sauce. I've also tried ading potatoes and/or mushrooms, and that turned out pretty good too. I like adobo 'cause you can experiment all you want, and it's really hard to mess up. It always comes out delicious!

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e